Saturday, January 23, 2010

Making Sense of it All...




So I am still recovering from the incredible mental, emotional, and physical transition that just occured as I went from Kibera (one of the largest slums in Africa) to Dubai.

My last day in Kenya was an incredible learning experience. I was with Suraj Sudhakar, and his friends Kevin, Alex, Dixon, and Dennis. They are an amazing group of men who live in and around Kibera and have been running a series of events, called TEDx, to inspire, motivate, and bring new ideas their community. In addition to their work on Tedx, yesterday they organized a book event for Jacqueline, CEO of Acumen Fund.



The event touched me in so many ways but what really took my breath away was the deep sense of community that existed in that room. We all came from such different geographies, social strata, and family backgrounds, but at that moment it seemed like the world stopped and we were all listening to each other, we were all hearing each other... it was truly magical...



Now I find my self in Dubai... where opulence is worn on ones sleeve like a badge of honor, where the buildings rise so high it seems as if they will never end, and few people call the city home. And I can't help but being left with the feeling, will we ever really hear each other?

2 comments: