Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Finding home in Pakistan

So my first two days in Pakistan, my biggest takeaway is that there is nothing like arriving in a place and feeling like you have a home...

While my geographic movement has been limited, my emotional and mental movement has not stopped since I arrived at at the home of the Naqvi's (many of you know Misbah Naqvi one of my best friends in NY) late on Monday night.

On Tuesday I interviewed seven of the up and coming leaders in Pakistan for the Fellows Program which was truly inspiring. In addition I was extremely fortunate to have been joined on the interview panel with four impressive, intellectual, and thoughtful people: Zaffar Khan, Ashan Jamil, the CEO of the Aman Foundation, and Shahzad Iqbal, and Aun Rahman.

The day ended with a lovely dinner at Ashan Jamil's home where we were not only joined by the candidates, the Acumen Fund team, and other community members, but we were joined by two of the current Fellows Sarah Dimson and Zahoor Khan.

The highlight of my trip so far has been seeing these two Fellows Sarah, draped in her stunning shalwar kameez navigating around Pakistan so fluidly and effortlessly and Zahoor, sharing with me his vision for building the next leadership training institute in Pakistan, it was magical

I am beginning to realize my home may just be everywhere and nowhere at the same time...


Off to Lahore!

1 comment:

  1. Feeling at home in PK is so easy to do...the people of this country are genuine & sincere & ridiculously hospitable. I'm so happy that you were able to experience this feeling first hand!!!

    ReplyDelete